The DCA Thrift Shop is located in downtown Darien
996 Post Road, Darien CT 06820, phone: 203-655-4552, email: [email protected],
Donations are accepted Tuesday-Saturday from 10:00am-2:00pm. Please bring all donations to the back porch.
ALL ITEMS MUST BE FRESHLY LAUNDERED.
Items we can accept:
- Any new donations w/tags (these do not need to be laundered)
- Gently used clothing free from rips, tears, and heavy staining
- Gently used hats, ties and handbags, wallets
- Children’s books, classic books, current fiction, nonfiction, and pristine coffee table
- Videos, DVDs, electronics (with cords if applicable)
- Jewelry and watches that are not damaged
- Housewares: sets of plates, utensils, and glassware (no single items will be accepted at this time)
- Kitchen appliances – functional and cleaned before drop-off
- Linens that are clean and free from heavy staining
- Shoes and boots in good condition
- China and decorative glassware – free from chips and stains
- Small pieces of furniture
- Artwork, antiques, and collectibles
Items we cannot accept:
Pillows, curtains, curtain rods, textbooks, seasonal decorations, toys, fabric napkins, placemats, scarfs, undergarments, pajamas, socks, bras
Thank you for your support of the DCA Thrift Shop! All profits support the mission of the DCA, including scholarships for Darien High School graduates.
The DCA Thrift Shop is looking for volunteers to donate their time working at the shop as cashiers. Our shifts are Tuesday through Saturday from 10:00am-1:00pm and 1:00pm-4:00pm.
If you are looking to give back to the community, please consider volunteering your time and email [email protected] for a volunteer application.
Thank You to our DCA Thrift Shop Volunteers – recently honored by the Community Fund of Darien
The DCA will Host the Sustainable Fashion Show on Wednesday, September 27th, 2023
Our DCA Sustainable Fashion Show was such a success last year we are doing to again this year! Over 100 fashionistas came out to cheer on our models and buy amazing designer clothes from our DCA Thrift Shop at great prices last year.
Ticket sales for the 2023 Sustainable Fashion Show will go on sale after Labor Day.
Photos from the 2022 Sustainable Fashion Show.
Sustainable Designer Fashion Show sponsor:
DCA Thrift Shop Internship
This internship would offer you an opportunity to become familiar with foundational activities at the thrift shop, with the primary objective being to assign you a specific project that could be completed and make a tangible addition to your resume. Potential areas for intern assignment include:
1. Merchandise display, including window appearance
2. Donation curation and pricing
3. Manage Social media channels
4. Communications – weekly newsletter, develop a customer database
5. On-line selling – enhance and extend existing eBay shop, research and develop new channels
This unpaid internship requires a commitment of 8 hours per week, flexible timing and would be based on-site at the thrift shop with remote work. College students and graduates are invited to apply. Please send a resume and cover letter to [email protected].
DCA Thrift Shop History
The DCA Thrift Shop was founded in 1931 to supply clothing and food to families in need, and offer employment for women during the Depression. Workers washed and mended donated clothing and repaired household articles, which were then sold at very low prices.
Today’s Thrift Shop is run by volunteers, proud to continue the tradition of helping the community. Over 1,000 customers make purchases at the shop each month.
As part of its community outreach, the shop has a long tradition of partnering with other non-profits. Men’s socks are donated to Pacific House, women’s and children’s socks to Inspirica. New toys are donated to Toys for Tots (11 large boxes this Christmas); used soft toys to Person-to-Person; small new soft toys to Post 53.