The DCA is the largest provider of scholarships to Darien High School graduates. Contributing $50,000 a year, we fund scholarships for not only new, but returning college students as well. To date, the DCA is proud to have awarded over $2 million in funds, to more than 1300 graduates. Made possible by donations and revenues from the Thrift Shop, house rentals and various DCA programs, scholarships are based on both merit and need.
In case you missed the great article in the Darien Times about DCA scholarships, here is the link below.
If you or your organization/business is interested in establishing a named scholarship, please contact the DCA office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 203-655-9050.
Apply for a Scholarship
For graduating seniors, applications are available at the end of February in the Darien High School Guidance office or on the DHS website. Applications are due back to DHS by the end of March. The DCA Scholarship Committee will review submitted applications, then contact students for interviews in May of each year.
Returning college students who qualify for continued funding may apply using our DCA application attached here. Applications are due in May, and students will be contacted for interviews in June.
Please contact email@example.com with any questions.
Make a Donation
To make an online contribution to the DCA scholarship fund, click here to access our donations form, and type “scholarship” in the notes section. Alternatively, please send a check, with “scholarship” noted in the memo field, to the DCA at 274 Middlesex Road, Darien, CT 06820. Donations are tax deductible; we will mail a receipt to your return address, which may be used for tax purposes.
Darien High School Class of 2016 DCA Scholarship Award winners pictured above, from left to right: Ken Yamaguchi, Tom Berisha, Tyler Grant, Carey Hocker, Emily Coyle, Robert Waters, Laine Blummer, Niamani Williams-Coles, and Alyssa Findlan. Not pictured: Savannah Chaput, Jennifer Previte, and Alexa LoPiano.
On May 19th the DCA presented 16 college scholarship awards and four community service awards at two Darien High School (DHS) ceremonies. The latter awards are new this year, and given to two juniors and two seniors who have made significant contributions to the community during their high school years. The DCA is the largest provider of scholarships at DHS – providing funding for both new and returning college students – and the only one offering recipients the opportunity to reapply for funding during all their years of college. Celebrating its 75th anniversary of granting scholarships, the DCA will award a total of $51,000 this year, based on both merit and need. The following DCA scholarships were awarded to members of the Class of 2016 for their college plans:
1. Anne C. Cary Scholarship – Robert Waters, University of Connecticut
2. Brendan Shay Scholarship – Tom Berisha, Southern Connecticut State University
3. Carolyn Jean Rich Memorial Scholarship – Niamani Williams-Coles, Amherst College
4. Cora Osherow Scholarship – Emily Coyle, Boston College
5. Darien Rowayton Bank Scholarship – Alyssa Findlan, Michigan State University
6. Joy Family Scholarship – Carey Hocker, University of Richmond
7. Kazia Klimczak Scholarship – Savannah Chaput, Colorado State University
8. Margaret Harrington Scholarship – Jennifer Previte, Coastal Carolina University
9. Maybell Family Scholarship – Ken Yamaguchi, University of California, Los Angeles
10. “Mr. Z.” (Darien Sport Shop) Scholarship – Savannah Chaput, Colorado State University
11. Nielsen’s Florist Scholarship – Robert Waters, University of Connecticut
12. Patricia Buchanan Scholarship – Tyler Grant, University of Connecticut
13. Ring’s End Scholarship – Emily Coyle, Boston College
14. Scott and Jane Pelley Scholarship – Carey Hocker, University of Richmond
15. US Chemicals Scholarship – Laine Blummer, University of Connecticut
16. William Pitt Sotheby’s International Realty – Darien Scholarship – Alexa LoPiano, University of New Hampshire
The DCA is grateful for the support of these local businesses and families.
Four students received the new DCA Community Service Award:
1. Helena Cush – senior
2. Robert Waters – senior
3. Thomas Kreuch – junior
4. Olivia Lew – junior
These awards were made possible by an anonymous DCA donor.
Over the past 75 years, the DCA is proud to have awarded over $2 million in scholarship funding to more than 1300 DHS students – through the generosity of the Darien community, and income from DCA programs, house rentals and Thrift Shop. Scholarship applications for seniors are made available through the DHS Guidance office each winter, and the returning student application is posted on the DCA website each spring. Awards are determined by the DCA Scholarship Committee, after careful review of all applications and applicant interviews. The DCA would like to thank committee volunteers for their continued commitment to this vital community program. Committee members include: Kate Larson, Joan Barksdale, Ulla Kremer, Judi Linskey, Diane Schlinkert, Linda Terhune and Pat van den Broek.
Click here for more details about DCA scholarships or contact the DCA at 203-655-9050 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Congratulations 2015 Graduates!
We are delighted to announce the scholarship winners from the 2015 DHS graduating class.
15 graduates received “Path to the Future” awards:
1. Christina Boccadoro, University of Massachusetts Amherst
2. Laura Boccadoro, Quinnipiac University
3. Jessica Campbell, Wellesley College
4. Rebecca DeMaio, University of Connecticut
5. James Fox, Boston College
6. Jack Garfield, Fordham University
7. Peter Grant, Southern Connecticut State University
8. Abiha Jafri, University of Connecticut
9. Kyla Johns, Quinnipiac University
10. Ashley Mailhot, Eastern Connecticut State University
11. Said Mammadov, University of Connecticut
12. James (Alex) Mitchell, University of Scranton
13. Alex Molwitz, Stevens Institute of Technology
14. Viara Radoulova, University of Connecticut
15. Andrew Trautmann, Elon University
Three students received named scholarship awards:
1. Corey Frate, University of Connecticut, Brendan Shay Scholarship
2. Dominique Guilford, Spelman College, The Heights at Darien Scholarship
3. Christina Chariott, Roanoke College, Joy Family Scholarship
New graduates and 2015 DCA Scholarship Award winners pictured above, left to right, top row: Corey Frate, James “Alex” Mitchell, Jack Garfield, James Fox, Peter Grant. Left to right, bottom row: Dominique Guilford, Kyla Johns, Christina Chariott. Not pictured: Christina Boccadoro, Laura Boccadoro, Jessica Campbell, Rebecca DeMaio, Abiha Jafri, Said Mammadov, Ashley Mailhot, Alex Molwitz, Viara Radoulova, and Andrew Trautmann.
2015 Returning College Student Awards
22 students were awarded scholarships for continued college education:
1. Laura Anglade, Concordia University
2. Andrew Boe, University of Vermont (The Heights at Darien Scholarship)
3. Lily Boe, Villanova University
4. Kelly Brustman, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
5. Jessica DeMaio, University of Connecticut Storrs
6. Tristan Ersek, Marshall University
7. Alexandra Ford, Ohio State University
8. Julia Rae Hodenfield, Ursinus College
9. Renee Hodenfield, Rochester Institute of Technology
10. Murtuza Jafri, University of Connecticut Storrs
11. Soyoung Lee, University of Connecticut Storrs
12. Anne Marie Manjuck, Western Connecticut State University
13. Greg Marku, University of Connecticut Stamford
14. Devon McCarthy, Boston University
15. Jocelyn Mendez, American University
16. Andres Morales-Guzman, Sacred Heart University
17. Althea Perley, Miami University (Ohio)
18. Harrison Perley, Villanova University
19. Lili Saffa, Ithaca College
20. Lauren Sestito, University of Connecticut Storrs
21. Kate Shannon, Manhattanville College
22. Tyler Stratton, Landmark College
Congratulations to all!
The scholarship program, including interviews and selection of recipients, is managed by the dedicated volunteers on our Scholarship Committee:
Chairmen: Kate Larson
Committee members: Joan Barksdale, Ulla Kremer, Judi Linskey, Diane Schlinkert, Linda Terhune and Pat van den Broek.