996 Post Road, Darien CT 06820
Hours: Tuesday-Saturday, 10:00am – 4:00pm
Special holiday hours:
Closed – Friday, December 23rd until Monday, January 2nd
Open again on Tuesday, January 3rd
How to donate to the DCA Thrift Shop
The DCA Thrift Shop would not exist without the generosity of the community. We are grateful for donations of gently-used and new items: clothing, home furnishings, toys, books, jewelry and accessories, linens, artwork, and more.
To donate, please drop off your items during shop hours, Tuesday to Saturday, 10:00am to 4:00pm. We will gladly offer you a receipt for tax purposes at that time. We cannot accept items that are ripped, stained or otherwise damaged.
The DCA Thrift Shop was founded in 1931 to supply clothing and food to families in need, and offer employment for women during the Depression. (View more of our history below.) Today’s shop offers a wide assortment of merchandise to include jewelry, books, home furnishings, accessories and more, all at Thrift Shop prices.
- Clothing: blouses, shirts, suits, dresses, slacks, pajamas, sweaters, jackets, ski wear, coats (even rain and fur coats).
- Accessories: hats, scarves, belts, ties, wallets, gloves, slippers, handbags, shoes, and boots.
- Jewelry: earrings, rings, pins, cuff links, bracelets and necklaces.
- Books / audio: a wide assortment from current to rare, for adults and children; records, CDs, books on tape and videos.
- Greeting cards, magazines, holiday items.
- Games and puzzles for older kids.
- Linens: bedspreads, sheets, pillow cases, curtains, drapes.
- Home furnishings: tables, chairs, rugs, lamps, fine china, stoneware, vases, glassware, cookware, small appliances, flatware, silver serving pieces, novelty items — everything except TVs and mattresses.
- Antiques and art work: beautiful pieces sought by New York dealers.
Many items are branded and just like new. Please stop by and see what unique find is right for you!
DCA Thrift Shop History
The DCA Thrift Shop was founded in 1931 to supply clothing and food to families in need, and offer employment for women during the Depression. Workers washed and mended donated clothing and repaired household articles, which were then sold at very low prices.
Today’s Thrift Shop is run by volunteers, proud to continue the tradition of helping the community. They have expanded the merchandise to include jewelry, books, home furnishings, accessories and more. Over 1800 customers make purchases at the shop each month. All profits support the mission of the DCA, including scholarships for Darien High School graduates.
A well-known fixture on the Post Road since 1947, the Thrift Shop building was recently recognized for its significance by the Darien Historical Society. The shop has also received the Darien Chamber of Commerce “Green Ribbon Award for Distinguished Environmental Activities,” and the “Darien Old Timers Athletic Association Community Civic Award.”
As part of its community outreach, the shop has a long tradition of partnering with other non-profits and organizations:
- Men’s socks are donated to Pacific House, women’s and children’s socks to Inspirica. Toiletries and diapers are also donated to shelters.
- New toys are donated to Toys for Tots (11 large boxes this Christmas); used soft toys to Person-to-Person; small new soft toys to Post 53 so that they can be given to children going to the hospital, or when children have to watch a parent going to the hospital. (see photo below)
- Discounted prom dresses are provided to Norwalk High School (“The Cinderella Project”) and discounted wedding dresses are sent by customers to Haiti for young brides who cannot afford a wedding dress.
2016 Non-Profit of Darien Award: DCA Thrift Shop.
On Thursday, April 21, 2016, in preparation for Earth Day, The Darien Chamber of Commerce awarded the winners of the 9th Annual “Going for Green” awards.
Carol Smith (left), DCA Thrift Shop Chairman accepts the 2016 Non-Profit of Darien Award for the DCA Thrift Shop from Susan Cator (right), Executive Director of the Darien Chamber of Commerce.
This shop is truly an example of recycling, reusing, and repurposing any and all things possible! For example:
- New toys, which cannot be sold at the DCA are stored for “Toys for Tots” each Christmas.
- Blankets that are unsold are sent to PAWS.
- Socks go to shelters.
- Soft toys go to POST 53 to keep children company when transported in the ambulance to the hospital.
Wedding dresses are stored and sold by the DCA to customers who buy and send them to Haiti (and other countries) again for girls who can’t afford them. At the DCA Thrift Shop nothing goes to waste! Your purchases help support the DCA’s non-profit mission, including college scholarships for Darien High School graduates.
Volunteer at the DCA Thrift Shop
Volunteering at the Thrift Shop only requires a commitment once a week. Volunteers help tidy clothing, price items, create in-store and window displays, and sell to customers. If you are interested in joining our team, please contact Carol Smith at 203-655-4552 for an application.
Pictured above are many of our Thrift Shop volunteers from one of our volunteer luncheons.
Volunteers are led by the below team:
Chair – Carol Smith
Vice Chair – Jane Matthews
Treasurer – Patricia Parlette
Would you like to help?
Volunteering at the Thrift Shop only requires a commitment once a week. Volunteers help organize clothing, price items, create in-store and window displays, and sell to customers.
“I enjoy the people I work with, and the wide variety of shoppers I help to find something useful, or unique – all for a good cause.” – Terri Flaherty, volunteer
If you are interested in volunteering, please contact Carol Smith at 203-655-4552 for an application.