996 Post Road, Darien CT 06820
Hours: Tuesday-Saturday, 10:00am – 4:00pm
Closed Wednesday, November 26th & Thursday, November 27th
Open Friday, November 28th (black Friday)
The DCA Thrift Shop was founded in 1931 to supply clothing and food to families in need, and offer employment for women during the Depression. (View more of our history below.) Today’s shop offers a wide assortment of merchandise to include jewelry, books, home furnishings, accessories and more, all at Thrift Shop prices.
- Clothing: blouses, shirts, suits, dresses, slacks, pajamas, sweaters, jackets, ski wear, coats (even rain and fur coats).
- Accessories: hats, scarves, belts, ties, wallets, gloves, slippers, handbags, shoes, and boots.
- Jewelry: earrings, rings, pins, cuff links, bracelets and necklaces.
- Books / audio: a wide assortment from current to rare, for adults and children; records, CDs, books on tape and videos.
- Greeting cards, magazines, holiday items.
- Games and puzzles for older kids.
- Linens: bedspreads, sheets, pillow cases, curtains, drapes.
- Home furnishings: tables, chairs, rugs, lamps, fine china, stoneware, vases, glassware, cookware, small appliances, flatware, silver serving pieces, novelty items — everything except TVs and mattresses.
- Antiques and art work: beautiful pieces sought by New York dealers.
Many items are branded and just like new. Please stop by and see what unique find is right for you!
DCA Thrift Shop History
The DCA Thrift Shop was founded in 1931 to supply clothing and food to families in need, and offer employment for women during the Depression. Workers washed and mended donated clothing and repaired household articles, which were then sold at very low prices.
Today’s Thrift Shop is run by volunteers, proud to continue the tradition of helping the community. They have expanded the merchandise to include jewelry, books, home furnishings, accessories and more. Over 1800 customers make purchases at the shop each month. All profits support the mission of the DCA, including scholarships for Darien High School graduates.
A well-known fixture on the Post Road since 1947, the Thrift Shop building was recently recognized for its significance by the Darien Historical Society. The shop has also received the Darien Chamber of Commerce “Green Ribbon Award for Distinguished Environmental Activities.”
How to donate to the DCA Thrift Shop
The DCA Thrift Shop would not exist without the generosity of the community. We are grateful for donations of gently-used and new items: clothing, home furnishings, toys, books, jewelry and accessories, linens, artwork, and more.
To donate, please drop off your items during shop hours, Tuesday to Saturday, 10:00am to 4:00pm. We will gladly offer you a receipt for tax purposes at that time.
Volunteer at the DCA Thrift Shop
Pictured left are many of our Thrift Shop volunteers from one of our volunteer luncheons.
Volunteers are led by the below team:
Chair – Carol Smith
Vice Chair – Paula McCarthy
Secretary – Sue Maguire
Treasurer – Patricia Parlette
Would you like to help?
Volunteering at the Thrift Shop only requires a commitment once a week. Volunteers help organize clothing, price items, create in-store and window displays, and sell to customers.
“I enjoy the people I work with, and the wide variety of shoppers I help to find something useful, or unique – all for a good cause.” – Pat Parlette, volunteer
If you are interested in volunteering, please contact Carol Smith at 203-655-4552 for an application.