Since 1923 the DCA, a non-profit organization, has been a vital part of the Darien community. As one publication noted, “Rare is the town so fortunate as to have a civic organization of the size and scope of the Darien Community Association working tirelessly in its behalf.” In the early days our work was varied: for example, we initiated several town beautification projects, translated books into Braille for blind students, inaugurated the first town fireworks display, and started the first story reading at the library. In addition, we established the DCA Thrift Shop to assist families during the Depression (for more information on our rich history, click here).
Today, our mission is to provide a unique community home in a welcoming setting, with stimulating learning and outreach experiences for the enrichment of the community. A hallmark of the DCA is this multifaceted mission, made possible by the work of over 150 dedicated volunteers:
- We offer a wide range of activities, programs and speakers – attended by 1500 participants each month. Our events are open to all, although many become DCA members to benefit from reduced program rates. We also sponsor a number of DCA groups, focused on a particular interest.
- When our lovely historic home is not being used for programming, it is enjoyed by families, businesses, and other non-profits who rent it for their own special events, including weddings, showers, parties, fundraisers and meetings.
- Our philanthropic endeavors include funding $50,000 in college scholarships each year to Darien High School graduates, and our nearly four acre DCA Bird Sanctuary, with native plant gardens, trails, and educational features, open to the public to enjoy.
- The volunteer-run DCA Thrift Shop, with more than 1800 customers each month, continues to provide a wonderful service to the community – for those seeking bargain prices, or a place to donate unneeded items.
The DCA is a privately-funded organization, and does not receive any financial support from the Town of Darien. We fulfill our mission through the generous support of donors and sponsors, membership dues, program fees, rental of our facility, and sales at our Thrift Shop.
Read more about us through these links:
- Our History
- Become a DCA member
- Activities and programs at the DCA
- DCA Bird Sanctuary
- DCA Thrift Shop
- DCA Scholarships
- Hold your event at the DCA Meadowlands
- DCA Board and Staff
- Careers at the DCA
- Click here to read the Darien Times article, “Darien Community Association: More in store than you may realize,” and see highlights about the DCA.